If you are going for the farmhouse look that is so popular today, those old oak bookshelves just won’t do.
A couple of years ago, I moved into a 20 year old builder grade house with built-in oak bookshelves in the family room, along with a big oak mantle. I knew they had to go!
Rather than ripping them out, I decided to try my hand at Annie Sloan chalk paint.
I wanted something light, since the room is so dark. I chose Old White.
It’s really unnerving to get started because there is no going back!
The paint is very thick but goes on very thin. You will see what I mean when you start working with it. It takes A LOT of coats to cover oak. I was told not to use a primer but I’m not sure it wouldn’t have gone faster if I had used a primer. Either way, make sure you plan for many coats and let it dry in between each coat.
I decided to paint to back of the bookshelves a different color to add interest. I chose Sherwin Williams Latte, which I used in other places in the house, including the sunroom. Check out my blog post on my sunroom transformation:
I painted the walls in the family room Sherwin Williams Kilim Beige, which is on the same color strip, so they go well together.
Next, I had to tackle the tacky bright brass pulls. My original thought was to replace them, but I was spray paint happy at the time. Plus, my overall goal for this house was to minimize the money I put into it.
I grabbed my Rust-Oleum Universal Metallic Spray Paint in Pure Gold (matte gold spray paint) and started spraying. To add some interest, I added some jute twine with some hot glue. I already had the materials, so the renovation on the pulls didn’t cost me anything!
I’m pretty happy with the results.
I ended up needing two quarts of paint even though I was told one would be enough ($35 each). I was just short! I bought the round Annie Sloan brush ($20) but it did not work well for me – I used a regular paint brush. I also used the finishing wax ($20), which gives it a nice finish. It needs to cure for several days, so give it some time.
Overall, I spent $110 to complete the project, as I had some of the items on hand. You can easily refinish yours for less than $150. Happy upgrading!
BonVoyage! – Kristin